Sunday, February 10, 2013

Something "Winter" This Way Comes

Hello all!

Today I am bracing myself for a long day stuck indoors until I work Monday evening. We have a blizzard warning in effect starting at 6 this morning until Monday morning with snow totals of 4-7 inches and winds from 25-45 mph! Not the storm of the century, but still a good reason to cuddle up with my Singer!

I'm happy to report that I had another wonderfully productive day yesterday. So much so that I neglected to post to tell you all about it!

On that subject, unfortunately I can't tell you too much as the subject of most of my work is a Valentine's Day gift, and I wouldn't want to risk spoiling it for the recipient. I can however tell you what I got done, and I will definitely be posting the many pictures that I took after this Thursday!

The project is a pillow and I decided to make an inner pillow with the stuffing in it and a removable pillow cover so that it would be easier to clean, and in case I ever need to add more fluff, I don't have to worry about doing the world's most "pretty" job of ripping it apart and resewing it if the need should arise.

I got the entire inner pillow finished, and I decorated and sewed the back pieces (two overlapping pieces of fabric rather than a zipper). I have spent some of my free time designing how I want the front to look. I will be using some cut up sweaters in a quilting/patchwork style, again, pictures at a later date.

In lieu of anything fun and shiny to show you, I have decided to take some time and jot down a few of my overall goals for this coming year, specifically for my sewing journey.

Here's what I came up with, mostly just in list form with a few dates/deadlines attached to individual goals or projects:

-Finish a wearable linen/cotton jacket to wear at my cousin's beach wedding by June

-Fashion myself a well fitting pair of dress pants either from a pattern or by drafting my own

-Begin collecting patterns and sewing/tailoring books for reference and future projects

-Sew a slip cover for my love seat

-Finish a passable "Malcolm Reynolds" (Captain Mal from "Firefly") costume for Halloween

-Begin to find and collect fun and unique fabrics to help inspire me for future projects

-Build/design myself a sewing space in my new apartment/room when I move in May

-Continue to grow my list of sewing related blogs that I read and get my foot in the door of the online sewing community for support, advice, and inspiration galore!

-Craft at least one piece for someone else (just to see if it's for me or not)

-Have a blast learning a new, rewarding, lifelong skill!!!

Well, now that's out of the way, I think I'm going to go get a hot cup of tea and enjoy a nice book before drifting off to sleep. I'll talk to you all soon!


"Winter is on my head, but eternal spring is in my heart." -Victor Hugo

P.S. Happy Chinese New Year everyone, enjoy the year of the snake (it's MY year, hooray!)

Matthew

2 comments:

  1. Hi thanks so much for joining the linking party. I also wanted to let you know your comments are set to no reply. That means there isn't an email attached for any one to reply back. You said you were new to blogging, so thought I would let you know. Just go to my blog and on the right side bar is a link to a post..."Are you a no reply". It will explain
    Thanks
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen, that's great to know. I have it all changed now. I'm so excited to be a part of your link party that I'm pushing ahead my craft for decorating my own Valentines wrapping paper to today so that I can post it to the party. The gift itself will still have to wait to avoid potential spoilers for the recipient, lol.

      Delete