Monday, February 11, 2013

Just a Bit at a Time

Happy Monday All!

I hope none of you are having a Garfield-esque beginning to your week, but if you are, perhaps I can help to turn it around!

I don't have any new pictures to show you of my progress from yesterday because all that I worked on was my Valentine's present. However, I do have some pictures to share of my planned sewing space for when I get my own place. My current living situation is in one room of a house (about 98 sq. ft. with my desk and bookshelves being in public spaces, which makes it just barely doable). I love the house I'm in and my room mates, but unfortunately I came late to the game and moved in after everyone else had gotten settled and we'll all be going our separate ways in May, so trying to create a more permanent workspace at this point is a bit pointless.

This doesn't mean that a sewer can't dream. I have a general idea of what I want for my sewing table once I get myself settled in a few months. This idea is a bit of a rough draft and can be adjusted in size depending on whether I end up in an apartment by myself or in another shared living situation (I'm trying to keep my options open at the moment). My inspiration is a table that I found on Etsy almost a year ago. I believe it was within my first month of discovering Etsy in fact!
Here's the link to the Etsy page of the creator LizKDesign, this particular item has already been sold, but I think I could easily create something similar for myself.

My thought is that I can have my sewing machine on the top piece, and perhaps a permanent pressing/ironing surface on the top of the base (the left half). I can always switch that around however and just use a tabletop ironing board (which I would probably make myself and shape to fit the space). I can also create a space below to store my sewing machine when it's not in use to save on space, which may very well be in short supply.

With this Idea, I will have the wall space above the desk for some sort of peg board or other storage system for thread, tools, bobins, pin cushions, etc. In fact, for that I am thinking of doing something else multifunctional such as a vanity style mirror that swings open to reveal storage and supplies (again allowing for a more clean, usable space when I'm not actively sewing/crafting).

At this point I'm trying to plan for a "worst case scenario" in which I end up in a studio/efficiency apartment where everything has to have multiple uses in order to keep my living space from descending into chaos.

I will definitely be using some of the little tips and tricks from Karen over at Sew Many Ways for her various sewing tables and work spaces over the years
including: magnets, yard sticks/measuring tape in plain sight, cable and electronics storage and functionality. Until I get my own piece put together and posted here (don't worry, it'll be well documented) I encourage you all to hop over to her blog and check out some of her great storage ideas and solutions.

I hope you, like me, can use a new and fun idea and fun inspiration as a way to help brighten your Monday, whether it needed brightening or not.

Stay crafty my friends.

Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment