Saturday, February 16, 2013

How to Procrastinate by being Productive

My plan for today was to get the torso pieces of my muslin sewn together. I know this is a quick process which makes it odd that I've managed to get sidetracked at this point of all points, but hear me out. If you look at my post from yesterday, you'll see my workspace in the background of the pictures towards the bottom. It consists of a couch that I sit on, a loveseat next to me with some extra supplies strewn across it, with a large ottoman in front of me that I work on top of/set my sewing machine on to work.

Due to the fact that I share the house I live in with three other people, I can't keep it all laid out like I might if it were just me, and even then I shouldn't. Therefore I decided to take some time to reorganize some of my crafting supplies into storage containers so that the process of setting it all up and taking it all down will go a bit more smoothly in the future. This will also be really helpful to already have a place for everything when I move the beginning of May.

First things first, I gathered together everything I could find for supplies, tools, materials, and appliances that I use for crafting and sewing of any sort. To give you some scope of how spread out it all was, I was simply throwing everything in a large plastic bag and it took me a full fifteen minutes to get all of the nooks and crannies checked to make sure I got everything.

Then I split it all up into categories: cloth materials, writing utensils, sewing accessories, embroidery misc, etc, etc, etc.

These I placed into various boxes and containers. It's not completely done, but I got about 4-5 boxes started and a bag full of items that could go multiple places and I haven't decided what to do with. Here are a few of my completed boxes, I still have a few desk drawers with a nice variety of office supplies all in one place that I use frequently both in and outside of craft projects. Sorry I didn't take any "during" pictures, but I had really intended to get some work done on my muslin (and the evening is still young, so who knows) but I had to make sure that I got something posted for you all to chew on.

It's not a perfect system, and it isn't meant to be permanent, but I'm in a pinch, and it'll certainly do.

Enjoy!!!


Sewing supplies, thread, cutting tools, pins, needles, etc.


My current fabric "stash" is literally contained withing this box...I will look back someday (hopefully soon) and laugh.


Mostly writing utensils, some rubber bands and ribbon to help fill in the extra space. Note: this container is a 12"x12" scrap booking box that was on sale at Michael's in Jan for around $3-$4, clear with a lid that snaps and they stack wonderfully.


The box below used to be my Hardanger supplies, it's an old tissue box with cut off plastic cup bottoms attached to separate off balls of #5 perl cotton embroidery thread. I'm going to be moving this all to the lovely Dr. Who  lunchbox that my boyfriend gave me for Valentine's Day to keep by my bedside and travel with easily.


Everything that I have packed up so far, there are also some items that don't fit in most boxes, my singer, cutting mat, tailor's curve, quilting ruler, and portable ironing board. I'm going to be putting everything into one big Sterilite tub for the move, and possibly for temporary storage in my new home until I can construct a sewing/crafting space.


No comments:

Post a Comment