Tuesday, February 5, 2013

I'm just a cock-eyed optimist

Good morning internet, I have a question for you. Is it possible to be too optimistic?

I've asked myself this question an awful lot in the past month or so, and I find that I am not quite sure. I know that I'm more hopeful than the average bear, and that sometimes this can cause a situation to become a letdown, or to blow up in my face, but it does seem to add to by overall happy demeanor.

I'll give you a specific example. This month I began my journey towards learning how to sew. The original intention of this was to teach myself how to make minor alterations in RTW clothing and, eventually, to craft pieces of my own from start to finish. Within a week of deciding that I wanted to learn, which has been a back burner desire f mine for a while, I had decided that it would be nice to create a custom fit, homemade cotton or linen suit for my cousin's wedding in Florida...in June...as in less than half a year from now.

I have since begun to realize that this is far beyond likely as the process of tailoring a jacket properly and having a well finished piece at the end is a very involved process that adds advanced techniques on top of the basics of seams, pressing, pattern altering, etc. As it stands right now, I have yet to learn ANY of those basics.

Despite all of this, I want to try and put together my first muslin of a jacket pattern sometime this month. My perhaps overly optimistic thought process leads me to believe that if I just jump into this process with both feet NOW, I'll make a ton of mistakes, and learn a lot in a little bit of time, but everything I learn will be able to be directly applied to my final project. I also don't mind having to possibly go through 2-3 or more muslins to adjust for fit, practice interfacing, experimenting with different suit styles, and other factors. I have a ready supply of muslin fabric in the form of white cotton sheets. I work at a hotel that has at least one queen or king flat or fitted sheet every month that gets a small stain in it that cannot be removed after multiple attempts, these would be thrown away otherwise. Not to mention pillowcases as well. I also have a decent amount of free time as I work the overnight shift 4 days a week, and so I am awake while the rest of the world is asleep for 2-3 days total per week.

So tell me, do you think that I've hopped on a one way trip to crazy town, or is this optimism and excitement just the thing to help propel me beyond the odds. Can my lack of fear to try be the one thing that removes me from the crowd of others learning a new skill and allows me to become better, faster, and less afraid to mix it up and try new things once I have the basics down (I'm already thinking a wool jacket and corsetry would be fun projects for later, but will probably follow up with Peter Lapin's sew-alongs for jeans and dress shirts to help give myself a little bit of structure).

Here's to a new year (even though it's already Feb.) to learn a fun, interesting, and useful new skill!

Even the path most traveled can be fun, if you dance your way along it.

Matthew

4 comments:

  1. Good morning. I have just found your blog through MPB. I just wanted to let you know that making a tailored jacket is well within the realm of possibilities. You will want to invest in Roberto Cabrera's book Classical Tailoring Techniques for Menswear. He will guide you through the process step by step. Be prepared to do a lot of hand sewing, which I personally find very relaxing. I made a linen jacket for my niece's wedding two years ago. You will find it in the archive at Mainelydadswintercoat.blogspot.com. I look forward to following you in this journey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your wonderful support. I certainly plan on getting R. Cabrera's book as I have heard it referenced on multiple sites through my searching and research for this project. I'll have to wait until next Wed. (payday) to pick it up, and until then, I'm going to use my current enthusiasm to make a pattern using David Page Coffin's method on youtube and copying a suit coat that I already own.

      Also, after publishing my post I remembered a nice little tidbit that made me feel a bit less crazy. After I started thinking about doing my own jacket as my first project, the thought crossed my mind to MAKE my own pinstripe fabric (so that I could have the fabric and pinstripe color of my choice). That bounced around for a bit, but I pulled back into a more reasonable goal of getting a decent jacket of any sort put together first.

      Thanks also for being the first person to comment on my blog. In fact, as far as I can tell, you're the first human being other than myself to view this blog. I can't tell you how much of a high I got when I saw "1 New Comment". I think I woke my room mates when I screamed, but it's fully daylight now, so hopefully they'll understand.

      Matthew

      Delete
  2. Matthew,
    I'm so impressed by your ambitions. You sound like a jump-right-in-and-learn-by-doing kind of person, whereas I'm deliberate and big on preparation and correct technique. But both kinds can learn to tailor jackets. I've made several tailored jackets for myself (see my work on Reader's Closet, http://www.threadsmagazine.com/item/5860/1941-misses-mannish-jacket-2-of-3 ) but the sportcoat I started for my husband in 2004 remains unfinished. It's a daunting project for me, but this year I'll finish it, with the assistance of a sewing teacher. I do want to be accomplished at menswear.
    Your tackling these projects by yourself reminded me of how I yearned to sew from the beautiful vintage patterns I'd begun to collect about 12 years ago. And then ten years ago I met my dream sewing teacher, and we've done great work together. As you progress, think about investing in a sewing teacher if you possibly can. There's only so much you can learn from illustrations or videos. I was frustrated for years and I don't want that for you. I'll be following your chronicle. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paula! I'll see where this project takes me and go from there. I know there are at least two different sewing/quilting shops in town that I'm sure would know of a person to help me, even if it's just an as-needed sort of thing.

      The main video I'm talking about was extremely thorough and showed the assembly of a fully lined jacket from (nearly) beginning to end. Here's the link, mostly the basics with a few nice tips thrown in, especially in regards to the lining.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jAySD4nzBY

      Delete