Thursday, February 7, 2013

Onward and Upward...again

So here's where I'm at with this suit project. First of all, I've decided that it IS worth trying, and that it may mean I'm crazy, but what fun would life be if we didn't do something crazy every once in a while, right?

Today is my first of two days off in a row, so my goal is to finish purchasing the last of my basic supplies: foam core board, cutting mat and ruler, tracing paper, a french curve, interfacing, and perhaps some more pins. Then I'm going to use David Page Coffin's method of creating a pattern from an existing garment found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRLCHj2mDFE. I hope to get the pattern all drawn out on paper and adjusted properly to allow for seams (I also need to add about 2 inches to the body as it was a rummage sale find that fir perfect for length and I loved it's style, but was too narrow even after I let out a few seams). If I can get that far by today I will be thrilled, then the next step will be cutting my fabric and applying interfacing where needed.

Until then, here's a somewhat related craft that I've been working on for a few weeks, lost some steam on, but finally brought home to the finish line.


My supplies all laid out
It's a pair of blue Converse low top sneakers that I decided to decorate with designs from a show that some of you may have heard of...Doctor Who.


A stencil that I made using newspaper and white paint applied with Styrofoam brush

I had intended to chronicle the entire transformation with pictures and post it to Pinterest, but only ended up taking pictures in the early stages, so I have one or two from before/early in the process, then I have the finished product that I just waterproofed today (can't have those new details getting soaked and stained now can we?)
All finished, Tardis design done with silver paint pen and sharpie
DW, design also in silver paint pen and sharpie.

2 comments:

  1. Love these! The BAD WOLF caught my eye in the thumbnail, but I love the Tardis, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessica, I love them too. They get lots of compliments from Whovians and non Whovians alike.

      Delete