Sunday, February 24, 2013

Time Makes Fools...

Goodness me, how long has it been?! I can't believe I haven't posted for five whole days.





I don't have pics because life has been running me ragged, but here's a bit of what I've been working on (I've had a mild case of crafting ADD, so it's mostly unrelated to my jacket :-S  ).

First off, I finally relocated my sewing and crafting supplies from our living room couch, just in time for the Oscar party we're hosting tomorrow! I found a place in the basement just outside my bedroom where I rearanged my desk and some storage boxes so that I could reach the outlet...yes, that's singular, for my sewing machine, lamp, iron, and a place to plug my computer in.

During the relocation project, I was letting my mind wander and found a small side project that I had been meaning to start creeping towards the forefront of my thoughts. I've always wanted to get into quilting, but I thought becoming more comfortable with the basics of sewing and the soecifics of my sewing machine first would be a good idea. I eventually settled on an idea that would give me the best of both worlds. I'm making a quilt out of my basic white sheeting fabric, but to embelish it, I'm hand stitching in stripes of each color of the rainbow. The quilt will be 5 blocks by 7 and each block will end up 8 1/2" wide after the seams are sewn. This gives me the opportunity to do some cutting (already done) and work on my hand stitching/embroidery skills, and eventually I will get the chance to work with piecing it together. It's going to be all squares, so here's to hoping for a moderate success, and I will be posting pictures after I have a few blocks sewn to give you a bit of an idea.

I also began a new hardanger project, though the instructions on the pattern didn't have a size requirement for the fabric, but it was in a packet that were supposed to be 9" doilies. I cut a square 13" to give myself room to work, and started counting up from the center to begin my border (hardanger pieces begin with the border and work their way in)...it was about 12 holes short!!! I got mad for about 30 seconds, then I composed myself and decided to change it into a freestyle hardanger piece. I'm working backwards from the center and taking it as an opportunity to try some new stitches for the first time.

Did I mention an Oscar party earlier? Why yes I did! Nothing fancy, and potluck style, but I will be taking pictures of what decorations I do use for you to enjoy tomorrow.

I hoe you all stayed busy this week, and have lots of projects planned for this coming week as well. I know I do. What's on the docket for you all before next weekend?



"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once."  -Albert Einstein



Matthew

No comments:

Post a Comment